Sunday, October 4, 2009

Amazed by Arkansas - an Overview

When I first accepted the position as communication director for the great state of Arkansas, I thought I knew a lot about the places and people of Arkansas.  I traveled a lot during my many years of living in Arkansas, but it was always destination based travel. 

January 29, 2009 marked my one-month anniversary on the job.  It was a whirlwind month and included trips to the Delta, Ozark, and River Valley areas of the state. During my trips to the Delta, I experienced Crowley’s Ridge and Village Creek State Park, Forest City, Wynne, Helena West Helena, visited the Delta Cultural Center where I felt the soul of the Delta through the blues music of Super Chikan, was moved by the bellowing voices of a Gospel choir at First Baptist Church in Helena, fed catfish and pork rinds by Grannie, and enjoyed a BBQ (hot, not mild) and a cold RC at Shaddin’s BBQ.

I was amazed by the towering bluffs of Crowley’s Ridge as they shaded the sun from the plantation homes of Helena West Helena and I wondered how could I have missed such a historically significant, rich in culture, and agriculturally significant city during all the years I lived in Arkansas?  I missed this city because I stayed on the convenient interstate highway as I traveled from point A to point B. 

My advise, if you want to truly learn about the land and the people of this great state, plan an extra day to your trips and experience the exits along the interstate.  Utilize arkansas.com and read about the towns and cities located in between point A and point B.  I have so much to tell about the areas I have traveled--and I’ve only made three trips in one month.  If you are interested in learning about my travels, stay tuned.  I’ve barely touched on the Delta, I haven’t even started on the river valley and Ozarks and next week, I travel to the Quachitas and Mt. Magazine!!  Oh, and in case you are wondering, you can find me in the office, at my desk...most of the time.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment